PDA

View Full Version : getting started

xanthemara
08-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Hi I am new to this forum and new to beekeeping although I have been interested for a long time now and have recently built a top bar hive, read all the books I can over the last few years, and have contacted various people about swarms but no luck in getting one. I would be grateful if anyone on here would be able to supply me with any info on the best way to go about getting a swarm. I have phoned local council and asked them to contact me if anything came up, I know it has been a bad few years for bees lately but any info would be appreciated. Joining the ayrshire beekeeping association soon. Thanks

Jon
08-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Set your hive up as a bait hive.

There is loads of info on how to go about this if you google 'bait hive.'

there is quite a bit of info on bait hives on the forum as well.

http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/search.php?searchid=282205

Neils
08-06-2013, 07:54 PM
There's certainly an element of making your own luck and after the rotten year most if us have had swarms are at a premium this year I feel.

If you can get some scabby old comb from someone that may well serve amply to set your tbh as a bait, lemongrass oil I believe also seems to work reasonably well.

Swarming season is kicking off in earnest down here in the south west and is a good month, at least, behind the norm.

xanthemara
23-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks, I have seen a few bees in the garden, is there a right place to place hive to attract bees or is it just a matter of waiting and hope they like your hive, no luck yet with any swarms.

The Drone Ranger
23-06-2013, 05:56 PM
There will be more swarms available if the weather warms up now for July
Beekeepers also tend to sell some stocks before the season ends otherwise they have to get them through Winter
Fingers Crossed for you Xanthemara -join the Assoc and get on the list for bees meanwhile

Jon
23-06-2013, 09:27 PM
I got two good sized swarms in the garden in bait hives at the start of June. You might still get lucky.

Neils
23-06-2013, 10:58 PM
It can be swings and roundabouts when it comes to swarming. Where I am there are maybe 15-20 beekeepers within swarming distance, i.e. whose bees might realistically check out a bait hive. in my experience bait hives closer to apiaries pick up far more swarms than those further away which runs contrary to a lot of studies, but I suspect city bees live similarly to city humans, they take what they can get.

I always leave a bait hive in my back garden, it has never picked up a swarm. Carelessly open boxes in my apiaries sat between two full to bursting hives have picked up several and no, before any says it, not [always] from my own apiary.

gavin
23-06-2013, 11:10 PM
..... but I suspect city bees live similarly to city humans, they take what they can get.

LOL! Especially in Bristol, eh?! Hope that you enjoyed the quiet streets today. Seems like such a good idea (as long as you didn't plan driving anywhere, that is).

Neils
23-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Don't get me started. If he put half as much energy into giving First a swift kick in the nadgers I'd possibly be a bit more supportive of it.

Calum
24-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Interesting, bait traps are totally against the law here.
But if you do catch a swarm please be careful to starve it for three days!