PDA

View Full Version : cattle

chris
23-05-2013, 03:39 PM
This has nothing to do with bees , but as this is a Scottish forum, here goes. We're thinking of getting some cattle to add to the other livestock, and I've been recommended the Galloway breed.Has anyone had any experience of them, or know anyone who has? They would be for meat rather than milk. Any info. appreciated.

Bridget
23-05-2013, 07:28 PM
I know nothing about cattle but we have two weaners arriving tomorrow - got to be easier than bees.
However try the Accidental Smallholder website The Accidental Smallholder
www.accidentalsmallholder.net/
Smallholding articles and advice from experienced smallholders the world over. It covers all farm animals and a good forum when there are lots of opinions. - a bit like here🐖

gavin
23-05-2013, 09:30 PM
However try the Accidental Smallholder website

As it happens Rosemary's dad is not just one of our members but my partner sold him a colony last year.

Can't be that different looking after cows. Chris, just strap some fondant to their head for the winter, they'll be fine. :p

All I know about Galloways is that they're nice to look at. The belted ones especially.

Bumble
24-05-2013, 12:54 AM
All I know about Galloways is that they're nice to look at. The belted ones especially.

They are indeed nice to look at, and must be quite decently behaved too because I've seen some in my travels through the New Forest. (owner's website? http://www.nfbg.co.uk/Gallery.html ) They're 'free range' there, along with a fair few Highland Cattle.

I expect they're quite tasty.