PDA

View Full Version : Catching a Swarm

janeoh
20-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Hi All,

I am looking for advice on catching a swarm. There are no beekeepers with available nuc's in the local area so I was advised to try catching my own bees.

There are no known hives nearby, however I did notice a couple of honey bee's in my back garden.

If I use a pheromone trap is there any real likelyhood of catching a swarm or is it unlikely without a large population nearby?

gavin
20-05-2013, 06:15 PM
If there are honeybees in the garden then there are colonies within a couple of miles. Always worth a try in that case. Help the chances with a frame of old comb, lemongrass oil or pheromone lure, elevation for the box. Now is a good time.

Maybe half of the years I've tried it has worked - sometimes with a small cast that probably flew miles.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

chris
20-05-2013, 06:45 PM
I've tried all sorts of things. Do as Gavin suggests, but the main thing is putting the hive in the right spot.Once you've taken a swarm in that place, you will always be able to take more (provided there are still bees around).As to where those places are..........I've also found that a brood box will catch a decent size swarm, but a nuc only seems to interest casts.

Gavin, do you find those pheromone lures work?

gavin
20-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Gavin, do you find those pheromone lures work?

I think when I tried it I had interest but nothing moved in. Lemongrass oil is cheaper in the long run and seems just as good to me.

janeoh
20-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will consider the lemongrass oil option.

I am just back from the allotment where I saw more honey bees, so things are looking promising.

Do I have to check the trap daily?

The Drone Ranger
20-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I think when I tried it I had interest but nothing moved in. Lemongrass oil is cheaper in the long run and seems just as good to me.

When bees went down my chimney one year I gave them a lovely hive nearby to lure them out
After the swarm lure (thornes ) was added they still didn't budge
Two days later and
I was rattling a ladder up the roof and getting ready to lower a drawn comb down the chimney
(you put it on a string and wait till the queen moves onto it)
Anyway all the banging etc disturbed them and they came out -- straight into the bait hive
Swarm lure is cheap and it probably helps
I have tried the french toothpaste stuff( Charme is it) don't think it works
Don't know about lemon grass or why bees go for it

I think the longer the bait hive is in one place, the better, as nosy bees find it before they are thinking about swarming
Then just before swarming bees are checking out the hive because of pheromone
Theory I believe, is that queens are attracted thinking they have a rival in there to deal with :)

Julian
20-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Try and place your trap at height, south facing and the most effective lure is a frame of older drawn brood comb. Good Luck!

gavin
20-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Do I have to check the trap daily?

If you wish to relocate the swarm then yes - but if it is in or close to a position you wish to leave it in (and the box is a normal hive) then no.

Jon
20-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Or if you are happy to move it more than 3 miles away it will reorientate again after you move it.

wee willy
20-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Never weighed up swarming preferences !
Had a swarm in a collection of spare floors , shook them onto a flagstone, placed a 5 frame nuc on the flag containing 5 frames of new foundation , dutifully ,in they marched . I had toyed with the idea of housing them in a spare previously occupied 14x12 hive containing 5/6frames of stores plus empty frames to total of 11.
On changing my mind and putting hive back on it's stand I forgot to reseal the entrance and carried on inspecting the rest of my hives.. I neither heard nor saw anything ,when I realised there was no activity around the nuc entrance!. However, lots of activity around the spare hive . He'll I thought , I haven't secured the damned entrance , those will be robbers already !
What had happened was, the swarm had absconded from nuc of foundation and occupied the spare hive in a twinkling of an eye! No previous scouting as hive had been sealed fro 4th December 2012!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk