PDA

View Full Version : traveling nucs

hypostatic
18-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey all, anyone got 2 traveling nucs i can borrow for a couple of days.

Im collecting bees in county durham next sunday and im 2 short for the bees.

If you can help me call: 07787796001 or 01501-744817

Many thanks in advance

Dave

Bumble
19-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Can you make a correx nuc? www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/showthread.php?204-price-of-a-home-made-nuc&highlight=correx There's a 'how to' in post #9.

Jon
19-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Mine are not ideal travel boxes though, as the frames do not fit tight and could swing around a lot in transit.
I have used them to move bees a few miles without any problem but a longer journey might be asking for trouble.

Bumble
19-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Nor are the ones I made, a few measurement were awry. But if the frames were fastened together and held in place with a lump of insulation it would be better than nothing. As long as the queen is caged. Ventilation could be a problem too.

Jon
19-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Most of mine have mesh floors now so the ventilation is ok.
The correx boxes sold by Easy Bee are proper travel boxes which take 5 hoffman frames which are very tight fitting.
Might be able to scrounge one of those if someone admits to having bought a nuc headed by a Slovenian queen at some point in the past!

Dark Bee
19-05-2013, 12:26 PM
When you travel, have the frames aligned with the direction of travel and not positioned across the vehicle. In the latter position they would be forever swinging as you braked /accelerated. As someone has already said pack a piece of sponge or foam between the frames and box side and that helps prevent movement. Ventilation, preferably at the top of box is essential. If it is a long journey, spray some water into the box, block the entrance hole completely with foam, travel by night if necessary and be clear when you are collecting them - arriving mid morning on a sunny day and not too many will be at home:) Good Luck.

hypostatic
19-05-2013, 04:57 PM
thats cool, i have some corex, might be worth trying to built what i need. thanks man