PDA

View Full Version : Frames

ebee
17-05-2013, 06:14 PM
I have lost a hive the Queen just stopped laying, the frames and box are covered in excrement my question is can the frames, box and drawn comb be re-used or should i discard the lot this is the first time i have had this happen to me.

fatshark
17-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Sounds like Nosema. You can treat with acetic acid vapour for a week or two but with a heavy soiling I'd probably choose to discard the comb, boil the frames in soda crystals and flame the box out with a blowlamp. Add new foundation to the clean frames and you'll be good to go.

I'm assuming the hive is wood. If it isn't ignore the bit about blowlamps. They are very bad for poly hives or the Beehaus. You can find instructions for these here (http://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/p/faqs#cleaning).

Neils
18-05-2013, 03:47 AM
Agree with fatshark. I've a few in a similar condition and I've treated with acetic acid but I'm inclined to steam the lot, recover what wax I can and re-use the frames.

ebee
18-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Sounds like Nosema. You can treat with acetic acid vapour for a week or two but with a heavy soiling I'd probably choose to discard the comb, boil the frames in soda crystals and flame the box out with a blowlamp. Add new foundation to the clean frames and you'll be good to go.

I'm assuming the hive is wood. If it isn't ignore the bit about blowlamps. They are very bad for poly hives or the Beehaus. You can find instructions for these here (http://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/p/faqs#cleaning).

Hi Fatshark there is a lot of sealed honey with some excrement on them is the honey wasted.

fatshark
18-05-2013, 08:45 AM
You can reuse capped stores after treating with acetic acid. However, is it worth the risk? If the soiling is heavy - as you seem to suggest - I'd get rid of the lot. Remember that after treating with acetic acid you need to air the frames for some time before use - perhaps a fortnight.

You can always replace stores with syrup or fondant. The colony is much more valuable and worth protecting from possible re-exposure to any Nosema spores.

Jon
18-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Remember that after treating with acetic acid you need to air the frames for some time before use - perhaps a fortnight.

Hi fatshark
I have often used frames just and hour or two after removing the acetic acid and have never noticed any reaction from the bees.
I would also avoid using heavily soiled comb.

fatshark
18-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Wow. I usually have a good sniff and if my eyes water I reckon they're still not ready to use! If I don't like the smell I assumed the bees wouldn't either.

Thanks.

Jon
18-05-2013, 10:06 AM
If they can stick 4 weeks of thymol varroa treatment they can likely put up with anything.
I have certainly never noticed any reaction to comb fumigated with 80% acetic acid and an introduced comb is often full of eggs the following day.

ebee
18-05-2013, 06:28 PM
If they can stick 4 weeks of thymol varroa treatment they can likely put up with anything.
I have certainly never noticed any reaction to comb fumigated with 80% acetic acid and an introduced comb is often full of eggs the following day.

Hi Fatshark can the sealed honey be extracted or is this a no no.

Jon
18-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Acetic acid is very effective at killing nosema spores.
If reusing, I would scrape the wood as clean as possible and fumigate for at least 10 days.
the other possibility is freezing for 48 hours.
Your call really with regard to any risk to bees it is fed back to.
when I fumigate comb it is really just as a precaution rather than trying to salvage comb which is really dirty with nosema splatter.

Black Comb
18-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Went to a talk by an RBI today.
He asked if anyone had heard the lady from the USA saying she had research indicating that acetic acid does not kill ceranae spores.
Any other info. on this?

The Drone Ranger
19-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Hi Black Comb
I read this so might be wrong but UV light and acetic have two actions
First one is triggering the nosema to release its coiled weapon
Second to inactivate the spore so it won't be dangerous to bees who clean up

Those second type are not killed just deactivated like an unexploded bomb without the timer :)
Hope I'm not adding to the pile of bull you read on the net by repeating this