PDA

View Full Version : Ready for Oilseed

GRIZZLY
16-05-2013, 07:25 AM
What a job its been this year sorting out which colonies are strong enough to go to the rape. I've only managed to find four colonies that look strong enough to get a crop from the rape that is now flowering well . I'm taking them up today and am hoping the weather stays kind to them. I will probably take a few more up later to use the rape to boost the colonies due to lack of local forage . Our trees etc are only just starting to show leaves - everything is at least 4 to 6 weeks behind.

gavin
16-05-2013, 08:12 AM
What a job its been this year sorting out which colonies are strong enough to go to the rape. I've only managed to find four colonies that look strong enough to get a crop from the rape that is now flowering well . I'm taking them up today and am hoping the weather stays kind to them. I will probably take a few more up later to use the rape to boost the colonies due to lack of local forage . Our trees etc are only just starting to show leaves - everything is at least 4 to 6 weeks behind.

OSR always gives colonies a huge boost (neonic-treated or not) so take them all! Our OSR was in flower (just) last weekend so I'm expecting my bees to finally pick up if they get some days significantly warmer than the 9-10C we've been suffering for a while now. There is more within flying distance than I expected. Sycamore is also out and the good show of dandelions this year (showing signs of winding down a little) will have been to no avail given the weather.

fatshark
17-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Ready ... yes. But there is almost none. Looks as though many of the farmers here have ploughed it under - presumably autumn sown and rotted in the ground - and planted field beans instead. They can give a good yield so let's hope the weather picks up.