PDA

View Full Version : Bailey comb change upper entrance

fatshark
10-05-2013, 08:24 PM
If you follow the instructions for a Bailey comb change (http://www.bbka.org.uk/local/ludlow/bm~doc/fera-faq5-replacingoldbroodcomb.pdf) from FERA (OK, the link is not to FERA, but it's all I could find) they recommend providing an upper entrance to help reduce the amount of pollen stored in the bottom box comb. Although I usually cheat setting up a BCC, by moving the frame with the Q above the QE to encourage them to start, I did add an upper entrance this year. Sure enough, the top box is stuffed with pollen and all looks good ... apart from the brace comb they've built between the boxes, due to the addition of the upper entrance. I built the latter from 20mm strip wood.

Without making a hole in the side of the upper brood box I'm not sure how to avoid this in future years. What do others do?

Despite the rubbish weather we've got (again) the comb change has worked well. The stacks should be disassembled this w/e (3 weeks) and the queens are laying prize-winning brood patterns in the new drawn foundation.

And the brace comb :(

gavin
11-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Never actually done a BCC but would a 10mm strip be better?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Dark Bee
11-05-2013, 11:03 AM
It is probably impossible to avoid brace/ burr/ ladder or whatever you want to call it comb:rolleyes:. I gave a fellow bk some 5/16" laths once to make an upper entrance on a national hive with a zinc Qx. This is likely to be as close as one can get the two boxes - but the frames were still joined with comb. I doubt it's worth modifying a box and /or a Qx (on a tbs hive).

Black Comb
11-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Well lots of nationals end p on double brood and there is often a small amont of brace comb. The gap between the boxe s is 8-10mm so just buy some 8 or 9mm laths.