PDA

View Full Version : self-assembly National Hive - Roof/Headspace question

jezza s
15-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone,

First post newbie here with a self-assembly hive question (National)

Am putting the roof together, but the strips/head space laths seem to leave a gap of about 1cm in each corners. With a bit of jigging around and precise nailing, the head-space could bee-tight, but just leaves the untidy gaps in the corners.

However, if i lay the head space laths flat, there is no gap at all, but the headspace would only be 10mm and the recommended 25mm nails would not work for the inner walls.

would you be able to give any advice at all?

best,

Jezza

wee willy
15-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Simply have the gap on the outer edges! When roof is in position, the bees won't have access at all!
I bought some roofs from a London company ,they also had short rails
I reckoned they had been cut to suit standard thickness side boards when in fact the boards were quite thin
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drumgerry
15-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Use screws instead of nails? And go for the gap-free approach

wee willy
15-04-2013, 06:39 PM
With short timber there's got to be a gap somewhere screws or nails?
Ww

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dark Bee
15-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Jezza old chap, I think I understand what you are asking. The good Mr W.W. is probably correct in his prognosis; the pieces were cut for a different roof.

The roof must be bee tight, if it's not the situation can get a little ticklish.

I would get two corners tight with what you have, then make up the gaps in the other two with a few pieces of new wood. Use glue, any type will do as the weather should not get to the joint !
Would you consider having a stab at making your own roofs? Cheaper and now that you have experienced the joys of self assembly, you will have a good idea of what is involved.
It is amazing what can be done with a sheet of 8' x 4' formwork ply, it is also amazing what can be done to it. :eek:
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

P.S. Failte don Forum.

prakel
15-04-2013, 08:15 PM
The roof must be bee tight, if it's not the situation can get a little ticklish.

Unless, of course, the crown board is 'bee tight' which is also very useful if you use top feeders.

jezza s
16-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks one and all,

You've been most helpful - will let you know how I get on.

Best,

Jezza