PDA

View Full Version : All gone

kevboab
11-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Hi folks. It's a sad day when you hear from a fellow beek who has lost all of his colonies from our relentless winter. Hearing the sadness in his voice is something I wont forget in a hurry and I pray the remainder of my colonies pull through also. However if you know of anyone who may have colonies or upcoming nucs for sale, if you drop me a note and I shall pass your details on. Its the least I can do to help a friend.

gavin
11-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Sad to hear that, but he'll not be alone. Nucs are likely to be scarce this year given that many folk have colonies that are quite far behind where they should be at this time of year.

There will be fewer swarms around too.

Jon
11-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Kev.
Locally I know at least 10 people who have lost all their bees this winter and several of them had 6 or more colonies.
As an association we are under pressure to supply bees and we have 20 people on a beginners course as well.
It has been a really tough winter.
The survivors are small, so as Gav suggests, not likely to be many swarms this summer.

kevboab
11-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys. Going to be a tough year for everyone concerned. Nature is very cruel but we have to make the most from the strong survivors.

drumgerry
11-04-2013, 10:20 PM
That's sad to hear Kev - hope your friend has some luck getting a replacement. I've sold the only two nucs I was willing to part with already to a mad-keen beginner I'm mentoring. Not taken payment yet till they make it through and build-up properly!

Neils
11-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Sorry to hear Kev, I think this is going to be a tough spring, when it eventually arrives, for a lot of Beekeepers.

brothermoo
11-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Real shame, if he anything like me he would have been itching to get hands on after a long winter! Read so many beekeeping books, articles, fora that I was buzzing about spring.
No pun intended!
Hopefully he will get bees from somewhere

Bumble
13-04-2013, 12:19 AM
That's sad. I hope they're able to get some more bees, which might not be easy this year.

The Drone Ranger
13-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Hi kevboab
If there is any oil seed rape it will be worth his while putting a bait hive close to the field in peak production
1 or 2 used but not ancient combs+ couple of combs from a super, no food or honey (Thornes swarm lure optional)
Bait hives need checking often because bees sometimes arrive but don't stay

kevboab
14-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Unfortunately he isn't in an osr area but quite sure it wont stop him popping a few bait hives out here and there on the off chance. I was talking to him today and it looks like a few pounds could be getting spent in the near future. If so, I really do hope our next winter treats him kinder.

Calum
16-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Anyone fancy a colony or queen raising course ? In Germany...