PDA

View Full Version : Whats the SBA membership ?

greengumbo
04-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Hi folks, just a quick one. Whats the rough number of SBA members ? Are there local association members that dont show up on this ?

gavin
04-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Hi folks, just a quick one. Whats the rough number of SBA members ? Are there local association members that dont show up on this ?

1536 :) or at least it was a few weeks ago.

There are local association members who are not in the SBA (lots of them), SBA members who are not in a local association, and there's Drone Ranger ;).

There are even people in Scotland in the BBKA :confused: but many probably didn't realise that it isn't constituted for operating up here (that's me getting that particular gripe off my chest again, the one about the English BKA's name).

Neils
04-04-2013, 10:55 PM
There's a few people south of the border who're members of the SBA too. I just got confused and thought I was joining Somerset Beekeepers though :D

The Drone Ranger
05-04-2013, 10:12 AM
For anyone joining something its probably best to join your local association first
The SBA is not for everyone and you will be represented by your association in any case

gavin
05-04-2013, 10:21 AM
National representation is stronger at the SBA level (with the SG for example), these consultations are about as far as it goes for the LAs. I'd say both are useful, the LAs for practical stuff on the ground. Also cheap, often around 10 quid. See you at our first summer meeting at the association apiary nr Longforgan on 25 May DR?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

The Drone Ranger
05-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Lol! trust you to get an advert in
The Local Association is better value by miles if it's training ,discount buying, bees etc which is what most people want

gavin
05-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Lol! trust you to get an advert in
The Local Association is better value by miles if it's training ,discount buying, bees etc which is what most people want

The combined SBA-LA annual fee would be £40 in our case. You get the magazine, national representation, insurance and compensation, annual conventions, and that warm glow from knowing that a few pence of your subscription supports SBAi (if only I could get around to claiming the costs) from one, and training, lectures, apiary visits, cameraderie (!), fun, the chance to visit Duntrune House for our centenary in June, occasional informal discount buying, a free colour well-produced newsletter, and access to nice, gentle local queens from the association apiary (we hope, and at a small cost) from the other.

They're both great value. All that for the retail value of less than one and a half frames' worth of cut comb. Wouldn't you pay that just to see the arguments at the AGM involving a couple of forum posters?

:o

Julian
05-04-2013, 01:51 PM
A little known nugget of information - If you attend a beginner’s course at a Local Association that is affiliated to the SBA you can get a discounted rate for your first year’s membership to the SBA.

The Drone Ranger
05-04-2013, 03:30 PM
A little known nugget of information - If you attend a beginner’s course at a Local Association that is affiliated to the SBA you can get a discounted rate for your first year’s membership to the SBA.
Didn't know that and I was a member for several years :)

Trog
05-04-2013, 09:15 PM
It's a new initiative :)

The Drone Ranger
05-04-2013, 09:31 PM
It's a new initiative :)

Hi Trog

Has the subscription been fixed to take account of part years

GRIZZLY
06-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Here in Western Galloway Beekeepers Ass'n we're currently running a local course for instruction on the Beemaster part one qualification. We've got 16 keen members joined up and are offering the cut-price S.B.A. membership to these and the rest of our association. I try to explain the advantages of membership of the S.B.A. and find difficulty in convincing some people especially those members who have kept bees for years without becoming members. The same argument also applies to beekeepers outwith our ass'n who keep bees but don't feel the need to join us. The deterrant appears to be the cost involved versus perceived benefits. For our ass'n, the fact that we have an excellant western area representative who keeps us fully informed is of very great benefit and helps us to feel that we're all part of the S.B.A. family. This forum is also great in covering those matters of concern to us beekeepers in a friendly and informative manner.

Julian
06-04-2013, 12:00 PM
I try to explain the advantages of membership of the S.B.A. and find difficulty in convincing some people especially those members who have kept bees for years without becoming members.

Are there no arguments for membership issued by the SBA to help highlight the benefits?