PDA

View Full Version : Apiary sites in the South Side of Glasgow

jonny_chanook
27-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Hi there,

This will be my 3rd year with the bees. I have 2 hives which I have kept them in the back garden these few years and they seem to have thrived. Now I have a one year old son who will soon be roaming the garden so think it would be wise to find a new home for the bees. I am hoping to keep them in the city, ideally not too far from Cathcart.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been in touch with a few local allotments, but as you probably know, the council won't allow bees to be kept on allotments (for the moment).

Simon

gavin
27-03-2013, 10:50 PM
I don't know Cathcart well but I've just looked on Google Maps (with 'Satellite' turned on). What about Lin Park Golf Course? There are some secluded-looking wooded areas in there, and I'll bet that the security on a golf course is better than the average piece of waste ground in suburban Glasgow. Google Maps is quite a good way of spotting possible places.

jonny_chanook
28-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks Gavin.

I believe the course is council operated, so may run into the same concerns as with the allotments. Unfortunately the course is also not too secure (I have witnessed a few goings on that you not expect on a golf course).

There are some secure areas within Linn Park though, so I will follow this train of thought and see where it takes me. I contacted Holmwood House (local National Trust property) and they were not keen on the idea.

Jon
28-03-2013, 02:40 PM
The National trust are really keen on bees and allotments at the moment if you chase that up.
there might be a more appropriate site.

Our association apiary is on National Trust property and they have been more than helpful.
They fenced off the apiary and planted a hedge around it at no cost to ourselves.

http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/entry.php?617-Changes-at-Minnowburn-Apiary

If you google, there are other examples of apiaries on NT property as well.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wra-1356318317406/353295/

Gscot
28-03-2013, 09:00 PM
This is my 3rd year with bees also,I have 2 hives + nuc in garden.My 2 grandchildren aged 2 and 7 play in the garden with out any mishaps so far.
I have made a 6ft high mesh fence and secured them so the children cant get direct contact.The bees seem to go up and over the mesh and you hardly find a bee in the garden, more wasps and bumbles
The only time the bees fly low is when a strong wind is blowing and the children are not in the garden in these conditions
So far not one sting.
I suppose it could possibly turn sour with 1 bad day and I hope it,s not this year1476
I have a backup if it turns nasty the Forestry have gave me a permission for 2 hives
I know a chap who kept bees for years in a council house and people next door did.nt know he had bees

jonny_chanook
28-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Gscot, many thanks for the info and the picture. a good setup you have there.
I too haven't had any problems with the bees in the garden, however, the garden is about the size of the area that you have fenced off, so I am not sure how it would work fencing them off. I think I would be more comfortable moving them out.

Dark Bee
28-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Make sure you keep non agressive bees and you are most of the way there! As well as using a high mesh fence you may be able to help further by locating the hives and /or turning the entrance sides to alter the flight paths and take the bees away from the childrens area.

The Drone Ranger
28-03-2013, 11:04 PM
They can do OK up on a flat roof if you have one

jonny_chanook
28-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Jon, I have contacted National Trust for Scotland directly rather than the property to see what they have to say.

Have also established contact with the Friends of Linn Park. They are apparently in the process of having an orchard installed, so it would make perfect sense to have some bees around. Apparently the council aren't keen on bees in the park either!!

Jon
28-03-2013, 11:26 PM
The problem with parks is that in the summer they fill up with teenagers drinking carry-outs and once they get mildly pissed they often start to vandalize anything in the area which would include tipping over bee hives or lobbing heavy objects at them.
The only realistic option is if they can be kept behind a locked security fence. Edit, the hives rather than the teenagers!
If you have contacts who have access to places like water board land or electricity board property, these are good places for bees as they have security which keeps people out.
The two main considerations in public places are (1) will my bees sting anyone and (2) can my bees be vandalized or stolen.