PDA

View Full Version : frame assembly jig

prakel
20-03-2013, 10:05 AM
A very basic jig to assist in frame assembly. Not my own design, but very useful.

Outside view of jig.
Inside view of jig. The frame rest needs to be the full length of the lug -because we don't want a beespace in the jig.
Side bars held in position by means of 'clamp rails' and wedges.
Top bars being placed in position, also shows the 'clamp rails' and wedges from the outside.
Nailing top bars in place.

Once the top bars are nailed on, the jig is turned upside down so that the bottom bars can be fixed. The wedges and clamp rails are then removed so that the jig can be lifted off the assembled frames.

This one was built for home produced mating nuc frames but the basic idea can be used to build a jig for any sized frame.

Dark Bee
20-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Quite a nifty little gadget. If made accurately it would be excellent when assembling frames - keeping them square and out of twist.

prakel
20-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Quite a nifty little gadget. If made accurately it would be excellent when assembling frames - keeping them square and out of twist.

It does, speeds up the operation no end too.

I finally got around to building one (after thinking about it for a couple of years) when I found myself faced with assembling hundreds of those simple butt joint mating nuc frames shown in the photos. Jigs for full size frames are now definately going to be built before I assemble another frame.

Bumble
20-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Nailing top bars in place.
Is that a nail gun?

prakel
20-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Yes. My tool of preference for a long time now.

Jon
20-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi Prakel
I use mostly Hoffman frames and I hammer nails into the side near the top rather than down through the top bar.
Do you not find the hive tool can catch on the nail head when you are scraping the top bar?

prakel
20-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Hi Jon, That's the method I used to use before becoming converted to the nail gun. Plenty of Hoffman side bars here too.

Regarding the hive tool catching the nail head, no, not a problem there as the gun actually forces the nail below the surface of the timber (as if a nail punch has been used).

Jon
20-03-2013, 03:40 PM
That looks good. Might have to get myself a nail gun!