PDA

View Full Version : False cells

Mellifera Crofter
18-03-2013, 01:14 PM
From the other forum I was directed to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0XABXPyQ2rg) by Fat Man (about checkerboarding) - but what intrigued me was that, at about 2'42", Fat Man pointed out two 'false cells' because they're bulbous. I've never heard of those. Are they empty inside? I probably would have thought they're proper queen cells.
Kitta

Bumble
18-03-2013, 01:45 PM
My bees build those. They're squat little things, a bit like an acorn cup. If I destroy them there are always more next time. I don't know if they're practising or making sure they always have some queen cells almost ready to go.

Mellifera Crofter
18-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi Bumble - yes, you're describing queen cups (I think). I understand those, but I thought the ones in the video were sealed. Perhaps I'm wrong, and that they were queen cups. But then, a queen cup with an egg in it is not false!

Poly Hive
20-03-2013, 08:33 AM
A queen cup or several being present is totally normal.

A queen cup with an egg in it is a "maybe" NOT a definite statement of intent. A cup with a grub though....that is a statement of intent and I would consider doing an A/S of some sort at that point. I would not walk away and ponder it, I would act there and then.

I do not use any of the formal methods BTW I take of several nucs from the parent stock and let them do what they will, whilst in the background running a queen raising program from the best colonies so as to minimise the swarming tendencies.

PH

Mellifera Crofter
20-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks PH - yes, I suppose an egg might be removed again.

I just realised that I stupidly did not add the link to the video I was referring to. Sorry about that. It is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XABXPyQ2rg) - at about 2'42". As you can see, Fat Man is pointing to two sealed cells which he calls 'false cells'. Would they be empty, or contain a worker? Do you know about 'false cells'?
Kitta

Sorry - no, I did! The 'this video' is linked.

Jon
20-03-2013, 02:11 PM
It's hard to tell what fat bee man means.
I can't see if the cells are sealed or not and they may just be queen cups.
As PH says, these are present all the time and even one with an egg laid in it will not necessarily be allowed to develop as a queen cell.
if you see one with an egg in it it's a good idea to check again in about 4 or 5 days in case it has progressed.