PDA

View Full Version : Instrumental insemination

drumgerry
11-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Just doing a bit of research on the subject at the moment. Hoping in the long term to be able to afford the kit and attend a course. Can anyone point me to any resources? Or if it's something you've done, describe your setup. Where to get the kit? What's the best to buy?

Anything you think might be of interest I'd love to hear about. I am but a sponge awaiting a good soaking!

gavin
11-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Lol! Good for mopping up messes too. The only person I know who does this is Angus Nicol in Shetland. Will try to dig out his details and PM you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Calum
12-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Expensice kit, but with AI queens going at 15€ a pop here in Germany something I considered.
The cheapest sets are Russian apparently.
Seems alot work and invertment unless you plan to need/sell hundreds of queens a year...

Or make your own:
http://www.ultrabreezesuits.com/
this site is quite informative
http://www.besamungsgeraet.de/__en/ (http://www.besamungsgeraet.de/__en/)
youtube is worth a look at how they do it...

Pete L
12-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Hi Gerry
Michael Collier of Cornbrook bee farm (Shropshire) runs three day II courses,plus he sells the basic II equipment at a good price, based on the Schley instrument.

I have been using II as part of maintaining lines in my queen breeding for several years, i could put lots of info on the forum about this, but don't think it would be good to clutter up the thread with too much of this. Could also send you copies of a couple of videos if you wish, i think it may be best if you send me a pm, and i will reply with my contact details, if you are interested, then you can ask as many questions as you wish,and i will answer them all with regards this subject.

drumgerry
12-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Many thanks for all of the information - Jon (by email), Gavin, Calum and Pete. Pete I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking anything you put up on the forum would be considered a great resource which isn't AFAIK available on other forums. I'll PM my email address to you and I'd be glad to receive anything on the subject you are willing to send me.

Dark Bee
14-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Mr Schley and his friends are expensive people to know. The equipment including a microscope is expensive and unless one is breeding queens commercially, the purchasing of which by an individual is difficult to justify. Improvisation is likely to produce results which disappoint. It is however, a fascinating activity and the remarks above are not intended to be discouraging. Do go and see a demonstration and go on a course as already advised.

Jon
14-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Pete L will know the cost better than me but I think you would need to spend maybe £2000

drumgerry
14-03-2013, 02:35 PM
It's not something I'm looking at doing commercially but I can see the advantages in my personal breeding programme in the years to come. It would be more for my own interest than anything else - don't see the problem with that as most of what I do with bees is for my own interest. And yep I know about the cost - I'm sure I've spent a huge amount more than £2k on beekeeping since I started and will do so again before my time is up!!

drumgerry
02-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Well it looks like I'm going to take the plunge and shell out on the Schley kit in the next couple of weeks. Need to email him for a price first though (scary money!). 2013 is going to be a dabbling year using Sue Cobey's video to give me an idea of what to do. Doesn't look much harder than tying a Klinkhammer! Famous last words maybe there! Hoping to get to a course in 2014 and get into it in a serious way thereafter.

Dark Bee
02-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Why not go on a course first and then you should have a better idea of the merits and demerits of the i.i. equipment available. The NBU used to do a course which was acclaimed by those known to me who went there. It may still be available.

drumgerry
02-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Easier said than done Dark Bee I'm afraid. I've found a course which is running in the south of Scotland in 2014 and have booked a place - if anyone knows of a UK course running this summer I'm all ears. As to the equipment I think I'm on pretty safe ground with the Schley. This summer I'll not do too much - maybe just have a go at everting drones and collecting semen. And maybe have a go with some spare virgins (jeez that sounds really dodgy!). But I'm going to have to buy the kit while I can!

Jon
03-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Gerry.
I am sure you can teach yourself and pick the brains of people who have more experience when necessary.
There are loads of videos about from Sue Cobey and the like.
A friend of mine made a rig and we had a couple of sessions with it last summer but the drones we had collected were mostly firing blanks.
We managed to anaesthetise a queen with CO2 and inseminate it it but it never started to lay after being introduced to bees in an apidea.
What you will need is a good supply of virgin queens to work with.
As always timing is crucial as there is an optimum time for inseminating the queens, something like 7-14 days from emergence.
Pete Little will have more knowledge than the rest of us posters combined - so pick his brains.

drumgerry
03-06-2013, 10:37 AM
One thing I'm not absolutely clear on is the design of a drone flight cage to allow you to keep drones till they're mature enough and to allow them to defecate properly and hence minimise infection risk when collecting semen. I've seen footage of a box with fabric stretched tight over one side and split down the middle (the fabric that is) to allow you to reach inside and grab a drone. What I'm not sure about is how you keep attendant workers in the cage to look after them.

Otherwise I'll muddle through without great expectation of success. Just want to familiarise myself with the kit and gradually get more serious with it as time goes on.