PDA

View Full Version : Incubator for Queen Cells.

Dark Bee
09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
I wonder if anyone here has made his or her own incubator? If you have, would you share your experiences please.

Poly Hive
09-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Not personally but had the use of one Bernard made, old fridge, heating element in, water trough, and thermostat. Worked well BUT .................NEVER forget to insert a tiny bit of queen cage candy other wise your precious virgins may starve, which is heart breaking. Also too much and they get claggy and die too.

PH

Dark Bee
12-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Thank you PH for reply. A fridge is perhaps larger than I might need. I was thinking of something more modest, perhaps shoebox size :o
A drop or two of honey is what we use in the recess at the bottom of the hair curler, her majesty likes a slurp on arrival, but qcc would no doubt be as good if not better.
I wonder if any one has modified an egg incubator for queen cell incubation ? I know it has been done, what the problems are I don't know. But it would possibly be more cost effective and technically superior to one made from scratch.

drumgerry
12-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Haven't done so yet but I have a Brinsea Octagon 20 (old style) which I'm sure would be fine. It has good temperature control and the humidity can be varied and monitored with a wet bulb thermometer. It would also be easy to knock together a rack to hold caged queen cells

Poly Hive
12-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Egg incubators have been used very successfully, see some info here.
https://www.gillaspyshoneybees.com/pages/incubator

A little bit of searching gave this: http://www.besamungsgeraet.de/__en/_pdf/9_SCHLEY_incubator.pdf

PH

Dark Bee
14-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Thank you for your further information. I had found the second website you identified, but as mein Deutsch ist nicht ser gut, the matter rested. I am anxious to avoid the scent of burning beeswax - too reminiscent of high church services. So for that reason I want reliable controls! I have found several reasonably priced small incubators on an internet auction site - I may eventually buy one when satisfied as to their reliability. Drumgerry has mentioned making a frame for q. cells. Someone I know of, has used a piece of plastic drilled with appropiate sized holes - might be, or might not be as good or better.

Jon
14-03-2013, 12:18 PM
PM Keith Pierce who posts here.
He uses an incubator to rear hundreds of queens every year.
I was at a queen rearing presentation he did last Saturday and there was a lot of chatter about incubators.
He's not too far from you either, West side of Dublin.

madasafish
14-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I made my own incubator for hatching eggs.

Heating effort: 25 watt old style lamp.
Thermostat: underfloor heating one.
Box: Cardboard. Insulated with foam insulation.

Worked very well.

Total cost £15 - the thermostat bought new - surplus - on ebay..

Edit

I added a small water trough for humidity with a small sponge. Measure temp and humidity with a cheap £7 garden digital measuring thingie and fiddled around with sponge until the humidity was approx right.

My hatching rate was c 80% for quail and turkey eggs.. (turned eggs by hand)

Rather Heath Robinson but cheap.

Jon
14-03-2013, 01:26 PM
The small commercial egg incubators are around £100

drumgerry
14-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Octagon 20 on ebay seems to go for around £100 or maybe cheaper (or should that be cheeper?!) for the old style I have.

Calum
14-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Hi
I use a really old egg incubator, no need to worry about humidity, as long as there is a water supply there (with enough surface area) the humidity is a function of the temperature..
It looks an awful lot like this:
http://sell.bizrice.com/selling-leads/1259032/chicken-egg-incubator-eggs.html used 5€ out of the newspaper.. Seeing it can be bought from 4$ just ruined my day. :(

Dark Bee
14-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Thank you all for your comments - they are helpful. I shall either buy a commercially produced model and do the slight modifications required or build one from scratch if quality controls and heating element can be sourced. I would install a relay to switch on an auxiliary heat source in the event of failure of the primary. Primarily I want an incubator for my own interest, I like experimenting:rolleyes:. There is also the attraction of using it to help a bee breeding group which hopefully will be established in the not too distant future - previous moves to do were scuppered by a less than helpful gentleman with his own agenda.
One more thing, if anyone knows where the necessary electro-mechanical parts can be obtained, please post. I have some addresses, but more would be better.

The Drone Ranger
16-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Hi Dark Bee
Ebay has lots of egg incubators and kits if you wanted to build your own.
Some incubators use a fan some don't some are transparent lids some with just a small viewing window
digital humidity meters are about £6-00