PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Wood

Bridget
23-02-2013, 10:37 AM
A friend living in Starbekk, about 15 miles from Oslo, has an old orchard on their farm with about 100 apple trees. They have noticed that there are a lot less bees in the orchard so he looked at setting up some hives but in Norway you have to take courses and get qualifications before you can own hives. I suggested he had a look on a Norwegian beekeeper's forum but he says his Norwegian is not good enough to do that and also Norwegians don't take foreigners very seriously. so I thought I would ask here if anyone has any norwegian contacts who were looking for an out apiary. He says when his father in law was alive there were hives in the orchard.
Thanks
Bridget

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gavin
23-02-2013, 06:32 PM
A friend living in Starbekk, about 15 miles from Oslo, has an old orchard on their farm with about 100 apple trees. They have noticed that there are a lot less bees in the orchard so he looked at setting up some hives but in Norway you have to take courses and get qualifications before you can own hives. I suggested he had a look on a Norwegian beekeeper's forum but he says his Norwegian is not good enough to do that and also Norwegians don't take foreigners very seriously. so I thought I would ask here if anyone has any norwegian contacts who were looking for an out apiary. He says when his father in law was alive there were hives in the orchard.
Thanks
Bridget

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember a guy (Antony?) who used to post on Bee-L from Norway, I think. Lot of help that was, eh?!

Cracking tune though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY5i4-rWh44

The guy is in Trondheim which isn't what you want but I'll PM details anyway.

Jon
23-02-2013, 08:39 PM
That's one of my party pieces on Guitar.
Capo at the 4th fret, diddle around with a D chord. Lovely wee riff.
No contacts in Norway but there was quite a bit of talk about a Norwegian Blue a while back on the forum.

gavin
23-02-2013, 09:19 PM
They stun easily I believe.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Trog
23-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Like me they have a tendency to pine for the fjords ...

Bridget
23-02-2013, 11:21 PM
I just knew I would get someone's attention with the heading Norwegian Wood. And I too love the song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridget
23-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Rubber Soul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon
23-02-2013, 11:37 PM
I have all the Beatle albums although some are MP3s are on an ex computer with a failed hard drive.
I have most of them on vinyl but don't have anything to play them on.
The White Album has some of the best stuff.

Bumble
24-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Norwegian Wood
Doh!

I thought you'd be talking about the Norwegian programme about wood (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/world/europe/in-norway-tv-program-on-firewood-elicits-passions.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0), and which way up it should be stacked. I was all redy to say it should be bark side down.

Trog
24-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Bark side up to keep the rain off unless one covers the pile (as we do). Reminds me of the never-ending 'cold way/warm way' debate among beekeepers!

Bridget
24-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Wood is a big topic of conversation in this house. A woodburner and an open fire means a good stock must be split and stacked. We have several stacks of wood under the eaves of the house and shed but going through it a bit quick this year so just stacked a load yesterday. We come from the swiss obsession of wood stacking but if that N:rolleyes:orweigan book is translated into English I might have to give it to my husband. :rolleyes:

Bumble
25-02-2013, 02:22 AM
Bark side up to keep the rain off unless one covers the pile (as we do). Reminds me of the never-ending 'cold way/warm way' debate among beekeepers!
Under a car port, so bark side down helps it dry quicker, apparenly. Bark all round, thinner bits, go at the bottom of the stack.