PDA

View Full Version : Old Foundation

IanT
05-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I've read/heard (although I can't find a reference in any of my books) that bees are slow to draw out old foundation? Is this a big problem or do I just need to get the supers on early for them to tidy things up; that is take off the bloom that covers the older wax.

Any tips appreciated.

Ian

gavin
05-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi Ian

Yes, they can be. A gentle waft with a warm hairdryer can improve the old foundation, but be careful not to melt the wax. Just starting change colour is what you want.

Bees can be slow to draw *any* foundation early in the season in a super especially if there is a queen excluder in the way. Get it on early, and/or remove the Q excluder until they start working it.

best wishes

Gavin

EmsE
14-04-2010, 02:26 PM
If you've no drawn comb for a super, when would you put the super full of foundation on the hive for the bees to start working on it?

Neils
14-04-2010, 03:08 PM
If you've no drawn comb for a super, when would you put the super full of foundation on the hive for the bees to start working on it?

I'll disclaim this by announcing "Noobie Advice!" (i.e. I might be talking out of the wrong orifice)

As we've now got stuff starting to come into flower round where I am I supered my colony yesterday (they're covering 8-9 frames in total). Because I'd like to get at least a couple of jars of honey this year I've not fed the colony hoping instead that there's now sufficient forage around for them to be able to utilise that to make the wax. As I'd found the beginnings of some burr comb in my Apiguard eke, I'm taking that as a sign that there's sufficient nectar coming in for them to draw comb.

Calum
14-04-2010, 07:47 PM
I'll disclaim this by announcing "Noobie Advice!" (i.e. I might be talking out of the wrong orifice)
As we've now got stuff starting to come into flower round where I am I supered my colony yesterday (they're covering 8-9 frames in total). Because I'd like to get at least a couple of jars of honey this year I've not fed the colony hoping instead that there's now sufficient forage around for them to be able to utilise that to make the wax. As I'd found the beginnings of some burr comb in my Apiguard eke, I'm taking that as a sign that there's sufficient nectar coming in for them to draw comb.
Put the 'supers' on 7 colonies yesterday, so they are sitting on 30 frames now. Dandelion is just coming on.
The bees seem to take well to drawn comb and foundation well if you give them a fine spray of water/sugar water when you put them on.. Removed capped drone frame from each colony too...

gavin
15-04-2010, 03:24 PM

Hi Ems

The answer is: a bit earlier than if you had cleaned-out comb which would be a bit earlier than wet sticky comb!

Alternatively (and probably better) leave the queen excluder off for a few days and wait for them to work up into the super. They can be reluctant to move into a box of foundation, especially with an excluder in the way. After they have started drawing it then you can put it back.

So maybe when the bees are on all but the outer two frames in the brood box and about to move onto them, and leave the excluder off until they move up?

best wishes

Gavin

PS The first local dandelions were out at lunchtime today. Some blackthorn is out (planted landscaping, perhaps a commercial strain), but most blocks of the native blackthorn is not there yet.