PDA

View Full Version : substitute pollen patties recipe

keith pierce
08-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I am looking for an substitute pollen patties recipe. I never tried it before and want to test it out on one of my apairys, that is in a main ceral crop area, where early forage is scarce, and the farmer has put in early oil seed rape and i wanted to try and give the bees a boost into brood rearing so that they would be ready for it, and also on a few of my nucs, to see what difference it makes. I have searched the forum, but cant seem to come up with one.

Jon
08-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Finman on the bkf forum has recipies for pollen patties, I think using brewers yeast.

Jimbo
08-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Hi Keith,

Good idea. I have a site that is always slow in the spring due to poor forage. If you find a good recipe can you post it and I will give it a go as well and report back the results

keith pierce
08-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Finman on the bkf forum has recipies for pollen patties, I think using brewers yeast.

Yes, but he uses an irradiated pollen in his recipie.I want to be able to just buy my ingredients locally,without having to go on the net.

Poly Hive
08-02-2013, 01:55 PM
And he uses it for a very good reason, which is to say it makes the whole a success, and if you can find irridated pollen in the UK then let me know please as I have been trying for years with no success. I used to buy it from a source which is no longer selling. When I used it though it worked a treat.

PH

mbc
09-02-2013, 01:12 PM
I've tried a few concoctions ( though none of my little experiments seemed to benefit the bees much/at all compared with the controls) and the ingredients that were easiest to find were soya flour( wholefood shops) brewers yeast ( horse supplement suppliers) and feedbee ( sold by maisemores).
Not much of an endorsement I know, but maybe my bees have ample enough early pollen sources making pollen supplements irrelevant in my locality.

Adam
13-02-2013, 10:28 AM
I've used soya flour and brewers yeast on occasions. I don't think my bees really need it as they seem to get enough pollen as soon as they start to fly. Willow is just about upon us :) I've used the recipe at the bottom of this page. http://www.norfolkbee.co.uk/beekeepers-resource/feeding-honeybees