PDA

View Full Version : Bees and trees

Bumble
02-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Almost all the apiaries I've been to, belonging to members of my BKA as well as 'professional' (teaching) and commercial apiaries, are tucked away in woodland, and not in obvious clearings either.

Most books and courses say that beehives shouldn't be under trees, but these gents have been successfully keeping bees for, between them, more years than I've had hot dinners so they must be doing something right.

Is the advice a myth, or has anybody real experience of it going wrong?

Poly Hive
02-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Not sure why you picked Stoney as your landmark as I am ex Margret St but...

A well known bee farmer in Scotland has one of his best over wintering apiaries in a pine wood. Also another at the top of a hill. The problem is whilst these work for him and have doen for many years and his father before him would they work for us? Possibly is my answer, and the only way to test any site, whether summer or winter is to...... try it out. And over five years at that to get an average.

PH

gavin
02-02-2013, 09:23 AM
It was an eye-opener to see that site but it makes sense when you think about it. The topography allows cold air to drain away. The shade keeps the bees quiet until the right time rather than wasting their efforts early, perhaps similar to the advantages of a winter that cools down properly. The trees buffer against extremes of wind and temperature. The site was first used when the trees were young and wouldn't have been chosen now if you just go by the wisdom of the books.

Mine are under the edge of the canopy of some very mature broadleaf trees and they seem to do well, although perhaps better winter cold air drainage would help wintering. They are in open sun much of the time, very different from the site discussed above.

chris
03-02-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm not qualified to comment on the truth of the following, but on his site, Boris Romanov states

"More than 5000 volatile substances defend the surrounding plants from bacteria, fungi and insects. Phytoncides work by preventing the growth of the attacking organism. These facts explain partially why feral bees that live in forest are healthy"

He says that pine and oak forests are especially *healthy*

Bumble
03-02-2013, 05:02 PM
So, apart from the perceived noise nuisance of rainwater dripping onto a hive roof, maybe trees are more likely to offer a benefit to bees. As well as hives being concealed from view?

I don't know, by the way, I'm just guessing.

Not sure why you picked Stoney as your landmark as I am ex Margret St but...
From further up the hill, and it was a long way to follow a furniture van.

He says that pine and oak forests are especially *healthy*
As an aside, I've often wondered why pine is used as a scent for disinfectant.

Easy beesy
04-02-2013, 08:39 PM
I thought the idea of not under trees was because of the sap (and mould) dripping onto hives. I remember being told that deciduous especially, were the issue. But pine trees exude resin which they use so arguments for and against.

I suppose bees have been adapting to habitat for many years and we are just over-cautious.
Eb

brothermoo
07-03-2013, 11:08 PM
as an ex tree surgeon my first thought would be falling branches and/or trees but i realise that I have seen way too much of these to have a proper scale of probability of something like that happening... i did read something somewhere (uh oh) about monterpenes (torpenes, turpines, or something) released by trees having antifungal properties?
i suppose our hives are pseudo tree cavities so it makes sense...

Black Comb
07-03-2013, 11:35 PM
I have 2 in a semi clearing and for the 2 years they have been there they have done nothing. I will move them this spring if they are still alive. They get very little sun, only reason I can think of as the ones in the open half a mile down the road do well.

wee willy
07-03-2013, 11:45 PM
A much vaunted theory was that wind generated vibrations transmitted via the root systems of large trees unsettled bees hived on ground overlaying said roots.
Can't see it myself, but then lots of dogma in books of old has subsequently been debunked!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bumble
08-03-2013, 11:12 PM
A much vaunted theory was that wind generated vibrations transmitted via the root systems of large trees unsettled bees hived on ground overlaying said roots.

How would that work, with bees living in a hollow tree in woodland or would the home tree protect them from these vibrations?

I think I'd be more worried about big brnaches falling and landing on a hive, but I don't think it would happen very often. I have read somewhere (ditto uh oh) that bees don't like noisy raindrops dripping off the trees onto their roof.

Brothermoo - would hte antifungal things be beneficial to bees?

Blackcomb - the last two years haevn't been the best of years for bees, so it could be the weather as much as the apiary site.