PDA

View Full Version : Dartington-inspired underfloor entrance - caution

fatshark
29-01-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure how many people use floors like these (http://www.edinburghbeekeepers.org.uk/downloads/diy_open_mesh_floor-graham-white.pdf). I think they discourage robbing and rodent break-ins and have them on several hives. With the temperatures in double figures for the first time in 6-7 weeks I was checking my apiaries and noticed one hive on a double brood box had no flying bees at the entrance. I knew the colony was alive as I'd added fondant a few days ago and it has a perspex crown board. After a bit of prodding and poking I realised that the entrance was blocked so I lifted the brood boxes and was faced with a pile of corpses almost an inch deep.

All my hives on a single brood and with the same sort of floor are flying free with no problems. I suspect the large colony size overwhelmed the ability of the bees to clear corpses during the prolonged cold period (but won't be sure until I actually inspect things inside later) and the larger number of corpses simply formed a physical block with the L-shaped entry.

So, check your entrances if you use this sort of floor ... and perhaps carry a bent piece of coathanger to clear things as my experience clearly shows that any number of hand-selected twigs aren't up to the task :eek:

brothermoo
11-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Cheers for the heads up, I have one like this and one floor something similar based on the german style 'lochboden' floor. I have been reconsidering what type of floor I should make for my next hives... dead body build up needs to go on my con list for these floors now

wee willy
11-03-2013, 05:57 PM
I use Dartington floors,
Thanx for the heads up. My colonies have managed to chew up and post the cling film covering off the fondant down the slot :)
WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brothermoo
11-03-2013, 07:30 PM
That's something! Perhaps this is a phenotype to be breeding to - ability to work out the krypton factor dartington floor for removal of alien objects

wee willy
11-03-2013, 07:35 PM
They did this last year :)
VM

wee willy
11-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Sorry about the split personality :)
Unfortunately ,tapatalk doesn't allow a preview before posting :(
WW