PDA

View Full Version : Ian Craig MBE

EmsE
15-01-2013, 10:08 PM
IAN CRAIG- Awarded an MBE for services to beekeeping.

Well, what can we say! I think everyone in Kilbarchan bee keepers would agree that we're all so proud of Ian and couldn't think of a more deserving person. Judith, our president couldn't have put it better when she let us all know after Ian 'forgot' to tell us- well spotted Judith ;)

I've copied Ians Bee keeping CV below and whilst we all know Ian has done a huge amount, its great to read through.

 Two 3-year terms as President of the Scottish Beekeepers’ Association.

 SBA Education Convener from 1994 until 2012.

 Past Chairman of CONBA-UK.

 CONBA representative on the former DEFRA Bee Health Advisory Panel at CSL, York.

 Former SBA representative DEFRA annual ‘Bees Meeting’ in London.

 Former SBA representative on the NDB Committee.

 Secretary of Kilbarchan Beekeepers’ Association for the past thirty three years.

 Currently president of Glasgow BKA.

 Lectured to beekeepers throughout Scotland, also BBKA Spring Convention, Ulster BKA Spring Convention, Local Associations in Cumbria, Durham, Northumberland and Yorkshire.

 Honey Judge at the Royal Highland Show, Scottish National Honey Show, Welsh National Honey Show and Great Yorkshire Honey Show.

(I hope the photo uploads ok)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/16/ymepeham.jpg

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

drumgerry
16-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Many congratulations to Ian. I was honoured to have him test me for the Basic Beemaster which he did very thoroughly. Top man!

Neils
16-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Always nice to see people getting recognition like this, congratulations Ian!

Dan
17-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Good to see hard work recognised, and on a personal level, top man :)

gavin
16-02-2013, 11:54 AM
The SBA Executive gave Ian their enthusiastic thanks, along with some drink (non alcoholic) and cake not 15 min ago. He was his usual modest self.

Well done Ian!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Jon
16-02-2013, 12:16 PM
That cake looks like it might have giant sized drone larvae in it judging by the cappings. Bon apetit!

gavin
16-02-2013, 12:40 PM
That cake looks like it might have giant sized drone larvae in it judging by the cappings. Bon apetit!

Tasted like worker to me!

Trog
16-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Ah! The Lakeland cake mould that was sold out when I wanted one :( Anyone have one they don't want?

gavin
16-02-2013, 10:10 PM
You might try asking Bron nicely for a shot of it. And get her recipe while you are at it - honey certainly featured.

Given the interest in the cake, here is another picture of Ian threatening it with a knife shortly before he did the deed. Spot the likeness of him decorating the top.

http://www.sbai.org.uk/images/cake3.jpg

Trog
17-02-2013, 12:58 PM
How was the Sally as a venue? Nice and warm? Comfy chairs? Decent coffee?

gavin
17-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Yes, nice and warm. Good sized room. Chairs were solid and padded though not particularly comfy (think Dewars). Coffee and tea was OK, nothing special. I liked it, though Scone does have a special character when it is warm enough to enjoy it.

It cost each of us car travellers £3.60 to park at some distance (OK, 5 min walk) for the day. Wouldn't be good on a rainy day, but then again these Exec meetings are *always* on the best beekeeping day of the quarter.

The WiFi made the difference. We couldn't have distant folk on Skype nor live forum updates at Scone. And we couldn't have heard crackling larch logs on a distant Scottish island .....

Trog
17-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Wouldn't be good on a rainy day, but then again these Exec meetings are *always* on the best beekeeping day of the quarter

Fortunately for me it was a cloudy day so I wasn't wishing I was outside. Lovely and sunny today, though. Going to be glorious Monday and Tuesday ... and I'll be stuck in a room learning how to improve my business through my websites and social media :(

The WiFi made the difference. We couldn't have distant folk on Skype nor live forum updates at Scone. And we couldn't have heard crackling larch logs on a distant Scottish island .....

Sometimes it's nice to give mainlanders a taste of real civilisation ;)

Poly Hive
17-02-2013, 09:11 PM
As an expat and not actually knowing the deserved person personally I see the "honour" as an SBA award and as such am delighted both for the person as for the organisation.

PH