PDA

View Full Version : Beeologics: varroa

prakel
11-01-2013, 10:11 AM
A paper from the Beeologics team on their latest research into using the dsRNA technology against varroa.

Go to:

doi.1371/journal.ppat.1003035

and then click onto:

"Bidirectional transfer of RNAi between honey bee and Varroa destructor: Varroa gene silencing reduces Varroa population"

EDIT: For a direct link to the paper, go to Jon's post; POST NUMBER 3 in this thread.

greengumbo
11-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Yeah they have done a lot of work to get to this point and it is very promising. They have big money behind them now so will no doubt push on from here rapidly. The work on RNAi against IAPV etc earlier by the same group was impressive.

Jon
11-01-2013, 11:39 AM
That is a really interesting study which holds real promise for keeping the varroa population down to manageable levels.
Varroa only becomes a problem when mite numbers reach a certain threashold. They do not have to be eliminated 100%.

Direct link here (http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.ppat.1003035)

we demonstrated that bees vector biologically active dsRNA to the Varroa mite. The occurrence of such reciprocal interactions raises the hypothesis that bees may be potential vectors for Varroa-affecting viruses.

This is ironic if it turns out that the bee itself can be used to vector damaging viruses to the mites.
Talk about turning the tables. Revenge would be sweet.

Dan
11-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Pheasant turned gamekeeper?

Jimbo
11-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Had a quick scan of the paper. Very interesting piece of work. I think there is much more research still to be done but is very promising. The stability of the dsRNA in sucrose under hive conditions was only about 3 days and the researchers only used two dsRNA mixtures. The second mixture targeted more of the varroa genes and had a greater effect of killing the varroa so different dsRNA mixtures could have an even greater affect. There is also the issue of where this dsRNA fed to the bee ends up and if it gets eventually into honey or has it any long term affects on the bee

greengumbo
11-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Had a quick scan of the paper. Very interesting piece of work. I think there is much more research still to be done but is very promising. The stability of the dsRNA in sucrose under hive conditions was only about 3 days and the researchers only used two dsRNA mixtures. The second mixture targeted more of the varroa genes and had a greater effect of killing the varroa so different dsRNA mixtures could have an even greater affect. There is also the issue of where this dsRNA fed to the bee ends up and if it gets eventually into honey or has it any long term affects on the bee

I would say the decay after 3 days is a very positive thing and answers the question of where it ends up - broken down quickly ! I do think the selection of target sequences needs to be very specific to avoid any affect on the bee and so I have reservations about a few of the targets but generally it looks good.

Jon
11-01-2013, 03:25 PM
I do think the selection of target sequences needs to be very specific to avoid any affect on the bee and so I have reservations about a few of the targets but generally it looks good.

Also to avoid any effect on the human!
But it seems that this was a basic consideration.

From the discussion:

We selected dsRNA sequences that are not homologous to honey bee (or human) sequences.

What is interesting as well is that this study used a very simple delivery mechanism via sugar solution so if this could be developed as a varroa treatment there would be nothing complicated about getting it into the hive.

Jimbo
11-01-2013, 08:16 PM
I was thinking more long term with the 3 day decay. If it was to be developed into a possible varroa treatment you would want it to have a bit longer effect before the treatment was to decay in the hive.

Jon
11-01-2013, 08:26 PM
In the study they fed continuously for a couple of weeks.
Maybe to mitigate the relatively rapid decay.