PDA

View Full Version : Poly hives and Mice

Bridget
01-01-2013, 06:26 PM
After 2 weeks away went to check the hives. Pulled out a varroa board and found shredded polystyrene. Torch, plastic sheeting and terrier to hand, down on knees for a good butchers at the situation. Pesky mice have been chewing away at the under sides but have luckily not got past the mesh floor. now there was a conversation a couple of weeks ago about ventilation and varroa boards (wanted to add this to the thread but couldn't find it). last year through ignorance I kept my varroa board on all winter and spring. Bees did well so as its a bit chilly/windy/arctic round here decided to keep them on again this winter but I did have a bit of condensation so pulled the boards out about an inch. this obviously gave the mice a nice little entrance and then a platform to work from. I think I will go for a few holes bored through the board for ventilation. and I shall be making sure the terrier does a daily inspection in that area.
In the summer I think I may have to move that colony to another brood box so I can inspect the damage properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Poly Hive
01-01-2013, 09:46 PM
What version of poly are you using please.

I have been roundly condemned in the past (broad shoulders) for putting mouse poison under hives. Odd though how many are consumed. ;)

PH

gavin
01-01-2013, 10:15 PM
I leave my boards (mesh floors, wooden hives) in all winter. The gaps make them airier than solid floors and I reckon they're fine like that. This winter the hive stands have been in puddles much of the time but they seem fine so far.

Maybe the wet ground keeps the mice away? Elsewhere Murray has been talking of lots of dead animals in a big flooded area at one of his wintering sites.

I have poly squares which I put on top of the crown boards after the oxalic and fondant at this time of year. I've left them standing on edge and leaning against unused equipment. Something has been shredding the exposed upper edge - reckon its the orchard's resident geese! Must pick through the goose poo to see if they're swallowing it ....

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

prakel
01-01-2013, 11:44 PM
I have been roundly condemned in the past (broad shoulders) for putting mouse poison under hives.

PH

Really? I'd be inclined to propose you for a medal...

Bridget
01-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Delrosa polys.
Good idea to put mice bait under the hives. My husband will be delighted as he has a running battle with mice in the shed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Poly Hive
02-01-2013, 08:39 PM
The Denrosa entrance should prohibit mice.

I hate mice and am too running a battle in the shed. Lost count but with using suet pellets for the bird table for bait I have taken well over 12 this winter.

PH