PDA

View Full Version : spare queen in a jam jar

Jon
21-12-2012, 06:06 PM
I rescued a few bees and a queen from a nuc which was on its last legs last week.

I thought I had enough bees for an apidea but a lot of them did not survive the transfer.

I have had this lovely looking queen in a jam jar with 5 workers on my desk for the past week.
I have another nuc I was sure was queenless and I was going to introduce her to it but when I checked it today when applying Oxalic I saw a queen in it. So much for that plan.
The queen may be duff but this was a nuc started late August on just a couple of frames of bees which never really got a chance to get going.

1353 1352

gavin
21-12-2012, 08:50 PM
eBay?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Jon
21-12-2012, 08:55 PM
eBay?
I'd have to kill it first and sell it as a curio or conversation piece due to the no live animals policy.
I'm sure I have a colony without a queen somewhere out of 30+ but I'm damned if I know which one.

keith pierce
23-12-2012, 12:00 AM
if it was next march/april when the first inspections are taking place, someone would take your hand off for her.Be kind to her and make it quick.

Mellifera Crofter
23-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Won't they survive if you keep them indoors in an apidea? A very understocked apidea? (Or was that the most silly question ever?)
Kitta

Jon
23-12-2012, 05:38 PM
I picked up about 50 bees which had got chilled and revived them so she now has more company.
I was thinking of transferring her to an apidea if I can gather up another couple of hundred bees.

Does anyone know if chilling a bee wipes its memory as these ones took to her like it was their own mama.
I put in a couple of bees and they seemed pleased to see her so I tipped the rest in after warming them up for a couple of minutes indoors.

Mellifera Crofter
23-12-2012, 06:02 PM
A happy story! I hope they thrive.
K