PDA

View Full Version : Queen rearing vidio from Kingston Beekeepers

Beefever
18-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Can I recommend this queen rearing video from Kingston beekeepers. It gives an idea of how to rear queens using Vince Cook’s rearing method.
http://www.kingstonbeekeepers.org.uk/archives/17-Video-Queen-rearing-with-George-McCrone
I have no connection to it at all but think it’s worth a shufty.

Jon
18-12-2012, 09:37 PM
He should put roller cages over his grafted cells 48 hours before emergence to avoid the possibility of a virgin emerging early and destroying the other cells. It is 2 weeks work down the tubes if one escapes and destroys the other cells.

I like his double cover cloth system. I use a couple of tea towels in similar fashion.

gavin
18-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Top marks for being the first on SBAi to use the word 'shufty'. Possibly on any bee forum. :cool:

Jon
18-12-2012, 10:12 PM
They use the word 'duke' in similar fashion in NI as in take a duke at yon video or take a duke at yer man, he's palatic drunk!

No kidding, I know people who talk like that. Some of them are relatives!

gavin
19-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Sounds like rhyming slang. But I can't work out which Duke. Unless it is to do with admiring potatoes (Duke of York of course), something folk reputedly do a lot in Norn Iron.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Jon
19-12-2012, 12:21 AM
duke = look

gavin
19-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Ah, a butchers! Now what about palantic? Weird form of paralytic?

Jon
19-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Ah, a butchers! Now what about palatic? Weird form of paralytic?

Got it in one but it's not so weird. Like the Eskimos are supposed to have many words for snow, so there is wide and varied vocabulary for drunkenness on the island of Ireland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHUffzmLvkE

gavin
19-12-2012, 12:33 AM
LOL! But that's one thing we Scots could beat you at I'm sure - words indicating inebriation. And varieties of potato of course.

Jon
19-12-2012, 12:43 AM
LOL! But that's one thing we Scots could beat you at I'm sure - words indicating inebriation. And varieties of potato of course.

A bold claim.
He had so much drink taken he was completely stocious, rat-arsed in fact, langered and hammered at the same time.

Ruary
19-12-2012, 09:21 AM
A bold claim.
He had so much drink taken he was completely stocious, rat-arsed in fact, langered and hammered at the same time.
You forgot the ultimate adjective.......'corpsed'

tonybloke
19-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Got it in one but it's not so weird. Like the Eskimos are supposed to have many words for snow,

the eskimos have 3 new words for snow
where's it gone?

Bridget
19-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Foo ( not sure about spelling, might be derived from the French "fou"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridget
19-12-2012, 11:46 AM
My father used shufti all the time and he was indeed in Egypt during the war
shufti

A word of Arabic origin meaning "look!" Was brought back to Britain after the Second World War by returning soldiers who had learnt the word from Arab peddlars of dirty postcards. The peddlars used to keep the postcards hidden inside their coats and would show them to soldiers saying "Shufti, shufti!" - "Look, look!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beefever
19-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Yes Bridget that’s how I come to use it as my father spent his war years in the Middle East.
Well, what a good job I didn’t recommend that people should have a gander. It being too close to Christmas!

Poly Hive
20-12-2012, 05:23 PM
I am proud to own a copy of the full and unabridged (as they say) Scottish National Dictionary as my father subbed to it as it was being compiled and received in in quarto. Which in essence is uncut four pages to a sheet. However being a printer he had it run up as books and properly bound so that on opening they stay open where you want them to. A master piece of binding and a joy to own: and more volumes than you might think...