PDA

View Full Version : What can honey be used for?

EmsE
27-11-2012, 11:43 PM
I thought it would be quite interesting to find out what people have used honey for to utilise its medicinal properties.

I'm always nagging my daughter for wearing shoes without her socks on ( she is 10 so I guess it's not trendy :rolleyes:) anyway, I got home from work the other day and her Dad was v concerned that she had itch feet. Not sure what I was supposed to do about it at 8pm, however I was being nagged about it, so suggested in jest to applying honey to her feet then putting socks on, at bed time. She thought this was great and was highly amused ( her dad thought it was a barmy idea lol) so, if nothing else, it entertained her. Well the next day, she said her feet were no longer itchy and she's been fine since. Could be coincidence that the honey worked? Wearing socks would avoid it I'm sure in the first place, but it seems to have done the trick.

What do you use honey to treat?

Jon
27-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Hunger!!

gavin
28-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Throat. There's nothing better for helping you through a nasty dose of flu than a drink made from 1 inch of ginger, grated, thin peel and the juice of a lemon, tbsp or so of honey and boiling water - all left in a thermos flask for 15-20 mins.

But after Ems' experience I mighttry applying it anywhere there is a problem!

fatshark
28-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Good call Gavin
Very similar to my recipe which has a generous shot of brandy or whisky (or even whiskey Jon) purely "for medicinal purposes". For particularly bad cases of non-man 'flu a 2:1 mix of Lemsip:brandy with a generous spoon of honey is highly effective.

Of course, this is what I do and so should not be considered a recommendation, treat all medicines with respect, blah blah blah etc. ;)

Jimbo
28-11-2012, 07:27 AM
A few weeks ago one of our cats was in a fight and got a deep gash under his chin. We cleaned the cut for a few days but it looked as though it was difficult to heal. We could not use any antiseptic or cream in case the cat licked it off. So my wife suggested some honey on the cut. Within 1 day we noticed a difference, after a few days it was healed. Our cat now sports a Kirk Douglas chin.

marion.orca
28-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I have always used it under a sticking plaster when I have a cut - any cut that has had honey applied has NEVER become infected. I've always used it on the dogs minor cuts and scrapes, but I can't vouch that it has worked for her - it gets licked off too quickly to be of benefit ! I actually prefer using it as opposed to germolene etc, it seems to be just as, if not more, efficient.

EmsE
30-11-2012, 11:40 PM
One of the girls at work swears by drinking a mug of hot water, teaspoon of honey with a splash of lemon each evening to keep her complexion clear. If I'm feeling run down or that I'm ailing for something, I'll have the ginger & lemon tea with honey.

I'll have to try the honey coated plasters- (tested on me first though)

It doesn't cure me from missing the bee keeping season though :(

Bridget
01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
If I was at home I'd have some hot lemon and our honey, or maybe just a spoonful, to see if it would help this norovirus. At my daughters in Manchester City and we have all succumbed including the baby. Just because some "friend" picked up and held the baby and then said to my daughter she had been sick all night. Twat - I despair of how little brains some people have. 😷

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmsE
01-12-2012, 09:36 PM
That's a shame- I hope you're all feeling better soon Bridget.

The honey on the plaster worked wonders today without actually being used:cool:
The mere suggestion of it to my 5 year old whilst he's in floods of tears because there is less than 1 drop of blood on his knee, changed the tears in to giggles and 'you're just being silly now- you don't put honey in plasters mummy'. I don't know why he thought I was joking but the knee was soon forgotten about.;). I think that would come under psychological healing powers of honey lol.

Adam
04-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Honey and lemon works for a cold and a hot toddy (whiskey, hot water and honey) works to calm the nerves when I've had a BAD DAY.

I've given away some tiny jars of honey and called them 'bedroom honey'.
For no other reason than it's a good size to take up with toast and a cup of tea for SWMBO in the morning.
WHAT DID YOU THINK IT WAS FOR?