PDA

View Full Version : Straining or filtering

Mellifera Crofter
08-11-2012, 04:31 PM
I saw a website advertising:

Our honey is never heated over 115°F and is only strained, never filtered.

Is there a difference between 'straining' and 'filtering'? I can't see a difference in the use of the term when looking at products for sale in bee supply shops.

Kitta

Adam
09-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I presume they mean that the honey just goes through a mesh by gravity rather than any industrial process where honey can be forced through 'filters' at temperature and pressure.

I can't say that I know at what stage a strainer becomes a filter..

Mellifera Crofter
09-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks Adam - I suppose you're right.
Kitta

GRIZZLY
10-11-2012, 08:03 AM
In industry, a strainer is used to remove coarse particles and a filter is used to remove much finer particles. Strainers tend to be mesh , whilst Filters are supplied in all sorts of materials and can remove particles down to very small micron sizes. Filter your coffee and strain your "greens".

Bumble
10-11-2012, 05:39 PM
and is only strained, never filtered.

Is there a difference between 'straining' and 'filtering'?
I've understood that using a double strainer removes almost all wax particles and bits of bee.

Some people use a 400 micron mesh to filter out pollen and clear the honey for competitions, but might only do it for a few jars because it can take quite a long time to drip through.

Adam
10-11-2012, 08:21 PM
I've never used anything other than a double strainer, and that's ok for me. I've never gone in for competitions for honey or wax.

Black Comb
10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Double strainer straight out of the extractor does for me.
For honey show filter through 200 micron nylon.

Mellifera Crofter
11-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks all - I understand. I entered a couple of jars in this year's honey show, but there were just two of us in the novice section - so I won a prize despite my honey having been strained only. I'll filter a few jars through a fine mesh for next year's show.
Kitta

GRIZZLY
11-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks all - I understand. I entered a couple of jars in this year's honey show, but there were just two of us in the novice section - so I won a prize despite my honey having been strained only. I'll filter a few jars through a fine mesh for next year's show.
Kitta

Fine filter out the coarser bits ( bees legs ,wax cappngs etc) then warm honey gently and filter thro' 400 micron cloth. This is usually a nylon jam bag from your local ironmonger , or, you can buy the expensive one from Thornes.