PDA

View Full Version : Honey in St Petersburg

Bridget
07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm in Russia for a few days - husbands birthday trip with friends. Came across the indoor food market where they were selling honey - comb, creamed, drinks ( three kinds) and honey in other ways I didn't recognise. Last evening we had vodka flavoured with horseradish and honey which was quite a big hitter. Would upload photos of the honey stall but Tapatalk won't let me - probably not keen about images coming in from Russia. Will try later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calum
07-11-2012, 09:01 PM
just dont take any of the polonium flavoured honey back with you! that might cause a problem at customs....

gavin
07-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Just testing

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

There's a feral colony in that image, not that there were bees flying that day.

Anyway, Russia. Great! We love to hear tales from afar.

That was me trying a photo upload while I'm home with WiFi access via Tapatalk on my phone. I tried on Monday whilst out and about but couldn't get it to work. Probably the bandwidth available to me over the cell phone network was the restriction. If you can post from where you are then there will be no reason for the forum not to accept an image, but maybe the connection or even Tapatalk may have an issue with biggish files.

fatshark
07-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Gavin,
Is that the back of your house?
Very nice!
D.

gavin
07-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Not mine unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately given the financial resources required to look after it. I had occasion to go on the roof of it this year chasing bees, and an amazing experience that was. It is owned by the local aristocrats, and lovely people they are too.

Bridget
07-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Ok trying again to upload1302
Whoops that's the russian dancing girls from my iPad. The photos are on the iPhone so I'll try that next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bridget
07-11-2012, 10:41 PM
It's really weird that Tapatalk recognises the images from my iPad but not the iPhone. I'll have to wait until my iPad gets the photos from the phone. Meanwhile I can upload to Facebook ( big fan btw) but for some reason am unable to see sbai on FB . Perhaps it's just this Russian thing😜

Bridget
07-11-2012, 10:50 PM
at last pictures from the market in St Petersburg, Russia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neils
07-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Nice photos, always interesting to see how honey's done around the world.

gavin
08-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Ah! Those wires in the cut comb, such a bind. They should have gone to Thornes where you can buy thin unwired for that sort of thing! But it isn't cut comb, is it. Looks like they are cutting out small squares which are then pressed to recover the honey?

Calum
08-11-2012, 11:07 AM
yup, and in Russia you either make it yourself, or buy the (state) standard... nice photos though!

Bridget
08-11-2012, 01:26 PM
If you look at the first photo you can see the segments of comb within the outer frame. Perhaps this is how it's done at home but I've never used one. I'm going back to the market tomorrow to buy a comb to bring home and to compare. We might also try one of the drinks!

Neils
08-11-2012, 02:52 PM
In turkey they were doing honey, in the hotel at least, very much the same way. Full frame, including wires, that you cut chunks off.

The markets tended to lean more towards sections and jars of honey in the tourist areas and slabs of what appeared to be unwired combs in areas more for locals.