PDA

View Full Version : mead making

hypostatic
05-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi all,

Anyone on here make mead and know what the law is on making and possibly selling it

Dave

Julian
05-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Ayrshire & District had a very informative and entertaining presentation by Faye Gibbins on Making Mead a couple of weeks ago. From memory there is no restriction on how much you can make but you cannot distil or sell.

Poly Hive
06-11-2012, 04:58 PM
I had a very interesting conversation with a retired Beee Farmer in the apiary at a well known monastery. Like you do...

We got talking about mead and I said its weird how when you make two batches identically and at the same time, how one then romps on and the other sits and sulks. Yes he agreed, and worse when each batch is 500 gallons!

The big problem with mead for sale is the public think it is a sickly sweet wine. Not helped by the stuff that is on sale, a certain island off Northumberland even imports the honey to use in their mead, and the other winerys in Scotland also perpetuate the situation with horrid offerings. If done to a very high standard then I suspect there could be a market for a quality dry mead. The trick of course is the marketing.

PH

Adam
07-11-2012, 10:19 AM
There's a simple recipie here.
Don't know how the mead turns out though

http://www.honeyrecipes.org.uk/HRdocs/Mead%2012.04.pdf

Dave, do you have a good recipie for a dry mead?