PDA

View Full Version : A new association?

drumgerry
23-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Of the local variety I mean. Been thinking we're a bit under-represented here in Strathspey. Sort of caught in between a few other associations but there's not one that's particular to our location.

So...I've been thinking for a while about starting a bee improvement group in this area and have the offer of an upland area for a mating apiary. I was thinking why not go the whole hog and start an association tailor-made to this area and incorporating queen breeding/bee improvement from the outset.

I know from time to time a new association starts up in England but I don't know of any in recent years in Scotland. Am I wrong there? Am I imagining that Lamancha are a new association or have they been going for years?

If anyone knows anything about this or has any experience of the same I'd love to hear about it. And if anyone in the Strathspey area (from the mouth to the source and twenty miles either side!) is interested I'd love to hear from them too.

Jon
23-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Hi Gerry. I am a UBKA member rather than A SBA member but locally one new association has started up in the past couple of years and another has defected from a rival organization and affiliated to the UBKA so I would say there is precedent.
If you think you can pull in enough members in the area I would say it is worthwhile especially if the focus is on bee improvement from the start.

drumgerry
23-10-2012, 07:12 PM
The most local of the associations around here consists mostly of new or new-ish beekeepers so I wonder if some of them would be happier to travel a bit less and get in on the ground floor so to speak with a new association. And most of those newbies that I've mentioned native bees and bee improvement to are VERY interested. Plus I've already got a few experienced beeks interested who could form the basis of a committee. Not trying to steal other associations' thunder per se but fill a gap in the market. I guess you can't guage the level of interest until you make a start..

gavin
23-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Hi Gerry

Definitely give it a try. We started a new one for Perth and District last year and things are going well. There is a new Western Isles one, Lamancha and an informal group in Wester Ross.

I'm on the committee of the Perth one but avoided an office bearer post as I'll be taking over as President at the East of Scotland next spring.

Happy to supply copies of constitutions if that helps. Best to have one and to encourage turn-over in all posts otherwise things get fossilised when single individuals stay on too long.

We made a deliberate attempt to have breadth on the committee so that the old guys who came in, curious about the new assn, didn't feel excluded by the mostly new beginners running the show.

As for breeding, you'll find that not all want to get involved so make sure there is plenty for others too.

Keep good relations withe the neighbouring assns and they can help out and you can have joint meetings. Bron and Phil at the SBA will help too if you like and maybe you can get an invite to the Nov local secretaries meeting in Perth.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

drumgerry
23-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Hi Gavin - the intention would be to have it as a fully constituted association so any documentation you have on that would be great. Not sure we'll be far enough ahead with things for me to call myself a LA secretary by November!

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated

Bridget
23-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Speyside is a good sized area in length. About 2 hrs drive end to end and I am close to the southern end. However I think Knockando will be marginally closer than The Black Isle which is the closest at present so I am keen to support your new association.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drumgerry
23-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Strangely Bridget I just sent you a PM! I think we'd be keen to meet in various locations - maybe upstream towards Aviemore or your neck of the woods if there was the interest.

Bridget
23-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Yes i saw your PM. Well after my first full year of beekeeping I now have three hives and managed to collect 10lbs of honey from one good hive so I'm very keen to further my education. Count me in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk