PDA

View Full Version : Queen Viral Infection Project

prakel
21-10-2012, 11:32 AM
This is a cut and paste from Chris Slade's Bee Blog regarding a new project at Plymouth University.

ARE RECENT QUEEN FAILURES CAUSED BY VIRUS?
by chrissladesbeeblog

At the AOB at the end of the Devon Apicultural Research Group (DARG) AGM yesterday Glyn Davies asked us if DARG would like to become associated/involved with a project to investigate virus infection of queens and determine whether they are associated with the recent upsurge in queen failures.
As I recall (I wasn't taking notes at the time) a Devon Vet, who spends a lot of time looking for Blue Tongue Virus in sheep and so has the equipment and the trained eye, looked at the spermathecae of queens and, in several of them, was able to detect signs of virus in the epithilium (the bag that holds the sperm). As the epithilium has to do its job for up to years it is essential that it is in good condition and it is speculated that virus infection would disrupt it.
How is the queen infected with the virus? Through mating. I heard from Sue Cobey some years ago that viruses can be transmitted through sperm and as the queen will typically mate with 15 drones the chances are that one or more of them will have a virus to pass on.
Why should drones have the virus in the first place? Because Varroa mites prefer drone pupae to feed on and, in doing so, inject the virus, typically Deformed Wing Virus, into them.
Dr Declan Schroder of the Marine Biology Unit at Plymouth University is taking part and, I think, he will be identifying the viruses in samples supplied.
So, during the coming season or two, we shall be on the look out for failing queens for examination, but, as controls for comparison, apparently healthy and profific queens will need to be sacrificed in the cause of science.
DARG agreed that we would like to be associated with the project and doubtless we will hear more in due course.

Jon
21-10-2012, 01:29 PM
I would be happy to participate in that.
I have the odd queen which fails either turning drone layer or stopping altogether.
I also have queens which are laying well which are surplus to requirements, often due to requeening with younger queens in the summer.

Why should drones have the virus in the first place? Because Varroa mites prefer drone pupae to feed on and, in doing so, inject the virus, typically Deformed Wing Virus, into them.

This route of transmission seems unlikely to me.
A drone pupa which shares a cell with a mite and gets injected with virus is highly unlikely to end up as one of the elite drones which mates with a virgin queen.
A lot of Drones with DWV actually have physically deformed wings and are unable to fly. (curiously enough, DWV does not necessarily lead to defored wings in all cases)

prakel
22-10-2012, 11:02 AM
I would be happy to participate in that.
I have the odd queen which fails either turning drone layer or stopping altogether.
I also have queens which are laying well which are surplus to requirements, often due to requeening with younger queens in the summer.

Myself too -in order to right the tempermant issue that has been the plague my bees over the last few years (which I've mentioned previously) I have a very high rate of queen culling -some of them -now a lot less than in previous years admittedly-I'd be only too happy to post down to Plymouth for dissection!

To this end I'm awaiting a reply concerning how to get involved from Chris, either through email or -as I suggested, direct to this forum.

This route of transmission seems unlikely to me.
A drone pupa which shares a cell with a mite and gets injected with virus is highly unlikely to end up as one of the elite drones which mates with a virgin queen.
A lot of Drones with DWV actually have physically deformed wings and are unable to fly. (curiously enough, DWV does not necessarily lead to defored wings in all cases)

These are similar to my own thoughts on first reading the blog entry but then, I'm not sure that that sentence was anything other than Chris S outlining his own speculations. I'd certainly like to learn more from the actual drivers behind the research.