PDA

View Full Version : Do Honeybees get Diabetes?

HJBee
08-10-2012, 08:28 PM
I was asked this at work today, which I think was serious. I would love one of you super intelligent types to give me an answer, as I said I would ask!

fatshark
08-10-2012, 08:54 PM
No pancreas ... so no insulin. Perhaps they get type 1 diabetes? However they do have insulin-like peptides and insulin (or insulin-like) receptors which are differentially expressed (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022191008000772) in workers and queens. I suspect this represents conservation of a signalling pathway rather than having any relevance to diabetes.

So, I suspect the answer is no ... but Gavin will be along in a minute with the correct answer :rolleyes:

PS Bees also have an Insulin Receptor Substrate gene which, if switched off (or at least down regulated), makes the bee search for more protein-rich forage (http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pgen.1000896) i.e. pollen rather than nectar. Again, this reflects the fact that insulin-like compounds control a number of metabolic processes in a wide range of organisms, rather than indicating that bees have all the equivalent components found in humans that are - when not working properly - associated with diabetes.

gavin
08-10-2012, 10:12 PM
. ... but Gavin will be along in a minute with the correct answer :rolleyes:

Aye, right!

Does elevated haemolymph sugar make any difference in an insect?

I'd love to see a bee doing a thumb prick test for sugar.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

HJBee
09-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Thanks Fatshark. This particular person will think twice before asking such a question tongue in cheek again! And I learned something too!!

gavin
09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Anyway, who are you calling 'super-intelligent'?! If only you knew ....

As long as the bees stay off the deep-fried Mars Bars, they'll be fine. I wonder if anyone has seen Scottish honey a funny shade of brown rather than the blue they're seeing in France?

Bumble
11-10-2012, 12:08 AM
I'd love to see a bee doing a thumb prick test for sugar.

Thumbs?

Would a knee do? They've got half a dozen to choose from.