PDA

View Full Version : helping out

hypostatic
26-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi there, im just starting out and was hoping to find someone to take me under their wing to guide me. I know that its recommended to go to your association but they dont normally start the courses til next year so hoping to find a beekeeper who will give me some guidance over the winter period.

Im just away to get 2 smith hives next week second hand and would be good to get some pointers.

Anyone willing to take me on and ill come along and do some free work in appreciation

Dave

Jimbo
26-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi Dave,

We are just coming to the end of the active bee season so there will be little hands on experience. You mention you are picking up two Smiths. Are they coming with bees included?
Over the winter months your local association will have a number of speakers on various bee subjects and most associations run beginner courses in the early summer. You could also get yourself some good general beekeeping books and of course just ask any questions on this forum.

Jon
26-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi Dave.
As a hobby, beekeeping pretty much runs from late March to early October and there is very little to do over the winter apart from checking that colonies have not been tipped over or had the lids blown off.
In early spring you can check the weight and feed with fondant if they are light.
Treating varroa with Oxalic acid in late December is about the only winter activity I have.
At the moment I am feeding a bit with syrup and fondant but that is about the height of it.
the associations all run winter programmes, some of which are very good.

We all get cabin fever around this time.

hypostatic
26-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi guys thanks for replys. Jimbo, im just getting hives, its too late in the year for me as a beginner to be taking bees on so will wait til the start of the season next year.

Jon, cabin fever is right lol, just starting our i have caught the fever and im very keen. think ive read everything all the libraries in my area have lol and im dying to get my hands on some bees.

Ive got to find someone to come alongside me over the winter to make sure im doing the right thing with the hives im getting, seeing as they are second hand.

So, thanks again guys, nice to get a reply.

Dave

marion.orca
26-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi Dave - you must be the same hypostatic I replied to regarding your bee- keeping club ? Yes ? I personally would give your hives a good scorching as they are previously used, and start next year off with brand new frames and foundation to give the bees the best start.
Marion.