PDA

View Full Version : Bee keeping club

hypostatic
14-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Hi all, ive only been reading about bees for the last month and im looking forward to starting some hives next year.

As there isnt many people in my area of Whitburn, Scotland i have decided to start up a small beekeeping club to try to get people involved from my community.

I have received a piece of land with a large building on it to use, so im going to register the club as a charity to help pay for the lease which is a pretty good price.

So, im looking for people to get involved within the club (only 3 of us at present) as we just started yesterday.

So if you want to help or want a place to put some hives and/or store equipment i am completly open to it.

Contact me. Dave 01501-744817 or 07547760227
email: Honeypotzbeekeeping@live.co.uk

marion.orca
14-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi Hypo. I think you have a great idea starting a club for your area and I wish you every success with your venture. I haven't been a beekeeper for that long myself, so still regard myself as a beginner into this strange complex world of honeybees. May I suggest that even before you even start to think along the lines of a club, charity etc, that you all attend a beekeeping course with a local association, where you will receive basic instruction along with practicals, so you will learn what to expect, a new vocabulary and a whole host of wisdom from wiser and more long serving keepers. Beekeeping is a hugely rewarding interest to be involved in, but, as I have found out, should sometimes come with a government health warning ! Also, should you choose to attend a course, you will always have someone to turn to should things not go according to the textbooks. As is often said on this forum - bees don't read books.

hypostatic
14-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Hi there, yeah my local association will be running one at the end of march and have spoken to someone there today and they are fine with me getting started in this way. However im spending the winter studying and read taking lots of advice. yet we feel the need to get this started now so that when it comes round to the practical bits of the training the club is ready to pay for others to start the course.

Were hoping to raise funding so we can put people through the course, provide some basic equipment (like a suit and smoker) and also something towards them being able to pay the SBA fees. So theres no time like the present to start raising these funds.

Easy beesy
11-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi hypo
Be good if you would keep us in the know. Hope it's all going well. How's the reading going? Which books have you read so far?

Eb