PDA

View Full Version : Resurection or not?

Hoomin_erra
02-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Hey all. opinions requested.

A while back, i came across an abandoned hive that had a severe varroa infestation. Stumbled accross it by sheer chance, the hive was overgrown (literally) with weeds.

Unsure of ownership i left them.

I visited them today, and they have dwindled down to about 30 bees, one of which is a queen. Good thing? None of them have varroa. They were all very sluggish, no stores, and no eggs, so i assume they are starving.

If i chuck them into a 2 frame super, and feed them, do you think i can save them? Call me the patron saint of lost causes.

Neils
03-08-2012, 01:28 AM
A few weeks ago I'd have said no way.

You could try getting then into a Nuc, your Super, reduced to a drawn frame with insulation the other side of a dummy board, or preferably an apidea with some syrup and perhaps some thymol in the syrup.

At this time I don't fancy their chances given there is no brood but some of my own have proved me wrong this year and maybe with some food, a bit of tlc, the spares and will to give it a go they'll spring a surprise. If you do give it a go, please keep us updated.

Jon
03-08-2012, 06:30 AM
30 bees is not even enough for an apidea. Apideas have several hundred bees in them.
They would be lost even on 1 super frame and there are not enough bees to incubate brood.
I would cage the queen and make up a nuc with at least 3 frames of brood and introduce the queen to that.
When you see dwindle like that it is usually varroa or nosema.
If the problem is nosema the queen could well have damaged ovaries but like you I would be curious to see what she can produce.
I have found queens like this in spring and they can go on to head full colonies.

Calum
03-08-2012, 07:14 AM
A strip of sulphur will solve that problem.
And Block the hole.

You never know what you are getting with them, a little bit of nosema, a bit of EFB, a bit of something more exotic like AFB.
Kind of like a christmas present from someone who doesnt like you very much...

gavin
03-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Here EFB is the (relatively) new kid on the block (just occasional scattered cases before the late 2000s) whereas AFB has a very long history.

Very very low chance of either foulbrood. Slightly greater chance of Nosema. More likely Varroa and its viruses. Unlikely survivors, especially at this time of year.

You can join Nellie as the second patron saint of lost causes.

Hoomin_erra
04-08-2012, 06:46 AM
I think it was probably Varroa and associated. Like i said, a month or so ago there were a few hundred bees, with a heavy infestation.

Nellie, is there a badge for this club? Maybe a heart that i can pin to my sleeve? ;)

Neils
05-08-2012, 06:02 PM
It's a little heart shedding a tear :D

They're probably past the point of no return, but if you've got the time and kit to spare why not give it a go and see what happens?

I do feel in many respects that a lot of beekeeping wisdom is based on what's financially viable " a warm in may.., etc". I'm perhaps more likely to chase what should be a lost cause after this year, but there's no pressure on my bees to make any money so why not give it a go and see what happens?

marion.orca
05-08-2012, 06:57 PM
And never forget - where there is life, there is hope - give it a go and let us know what happens.