PDA

View Full Version : Butterflies

GRIZZLY
01-08-2012, 09:39 AM
What's happened to all the butterflies this year?.So far this year all we've seen are 2 large whites,2 tortoiseshell,1peacock and no red admirals at all.Saw some male wall butterflies but these too have dissappeared.Normally our large collection of buddleas ,fuscias and escallonia are covered in butterflies competing with the bees for the nectar.I've also seen my bees feeding on the buddlea this year - the flowers seem smaller and shorter this year allowing the bees to reach right down the corolla of the flowes.

madasafish
01-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Same here. A few in the March warm spell and now zip.

Ditto with wasps.

Lots of midges though.

Jon
01-08-2012, 05:55 PM
I am starting to see more wasps checking out the apideas for any chance of easy pickings but nowhere near as big a problem as last year.

Trog
01-08-2012, 07:53 PM
We're going to have to set wasp traps soon - not usually any problem at all but this year they're coming into the house and hanging around the hives.

Bridget
01-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Loads of wasps and butterflies here. The dog loves to chase them. Plus a million bumblebees all spring and summer, plus a trillion midges

gavin
01-08-2012, 11:30 PM
LOL! I like the logarithmic increase in insect species.

This year seems notable for the long season and high numbers of the early bumble bee, Bombus pratorum. The wee one that flits about faster than the average. Sometimes with an orangey tail but also a yellow band higher up. It is August and it is still on the wing.

Wasps seem to be such a local thing. They don't fly that far so if you have a byke near, tough luck. I have seen the odd one at my apiary but there is no sign (yet) of the huge numbers I've had some years. Thank goodness.

Ruary
02-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Three Red Admiral, one tortoiseshell and one speckled wood and one green veined white, not anything compared to last year. five and six spot burnet moths are plentiful.

Adam
02-08-2012, 11:10 AM
I've not seen many. However I ran past some fields recently where the field-margins have been planted with cornflower, poppies, big daisies and lots of wonderful stuff and it was literally buzzing with life. It was a good excuse to stop and watch. Put a smile on my face. :)

Jon
02-08-2012, 01:07 PM
You ain't readin' the script Adam.
Get back on message and forget about your cornflowers.
Have you forgotten about the dead zone already, not to mention bee Armageddon.
If we don't act now there will be no bees alive in a few years - no sir, not a single one even in Norfolk.
Thus spake the oracle the other day in the Herald so it must be true.

GRIZZLY
19-08-2012, 08:00 AM
A few more about now but still no wasps yet.

Neils
19-08-2012, 02:09 PM
There's quite a few butterflies about round these parts but not much in the way of wasps. Also have only seen dragon flies once this year, they normally live around our pond in the garden but not this year it seems.

Bridget
19-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Saw dragonflies today and other days as well. Don't remember seeing any other years. However other biting bugs have been rampant as well this year. I am covered and not just midge bites though I have not seen many clegs. Birch fly ( or black fly as they are known in Canada) have been rife and a really long season as well as I was bitten last week and they are usually over by July. I'm quite looking forward to a hard frost to kill all the blighters but with outside temp 22 degrees at 8pm this evening it does not look likely.

madasafish
20-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Well now the total is:
2 peacocks
2 red admirals
3 commas
3 whites

and LOTS of bumbles who do not read the books.

janesik
20-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Strange we've seen the first dragonflies (in 30 years) in our garden too. Fewer butterflies - bumblebees but none of our usual red tailed ones - fewer hover flies too but midge bites- I'm permanently itchy!

lindsay s
22-08-2012, 09:35 AM
With all the talk about the decline of insects this year it turns out that the elephant in the room was the good old British weather. No mention of pesticides here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19337612

Jon
22-08-2012, 09:55 AM
No shedding many tears for the lack of wasps though.
Honeybees have probably fared better than many other insects which feed on pollen and nectar due to their ability to lay down stores to see them through a week or two of wet weather.
I remember reading somewhere that a bumblebee nest would never have more than a spoonful of nectar in it so they are obliged to forage all the time.

madasafish
22-08-2012, 10:41 AM
I have a bumblebee nest in the ground - rescued on a "swarm" call! - doing famously on our garden's pollen/nectar rich flowers. Fascinating to watch.

Under some trees so shielded form the frequent rains...

madasafish
03-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Great display today 30+ peacocks butterflies..